GRAIN FREE, KETO & LOW CARB BREAD ROLLS WITH WILD CAUGHT SALMON, AVOCADO OIL MAYONNAISE & FRESH DILL
If you follow a Keto or Low Carb lifestyle, have a gluten sensitivity or intolerance, or looking for a grain free recipe then this is the perfect bread roll recipe for you!
WHAT IS A KETO ALTERNATIVE TO BREAD ROLLS?
Conventional bread and bread rolls are made using wheat, which is not only high in carbs and contains gluten, but could also contribute to health issues such as bloating, skin breakouts, high blood sugars, brain fog and digestive discomfort. You can learn more about the benefits of a gluten-free diet in our article:
The good news is that there are many grain-free and gluten-free alternatives to wheat flour, which can be used to create Keto, Low Carb and Gluten-Free bread. In this recipe, we utilise almond flour and psyllium husk to make our bread mixture.
WHAT IS PSYLLIUM HUSK AND WHERE CAN I BUY IT?
Psyllium is plant native to India which is most commonly used for its husk - the dry shell of its seeds. Psyllium husk is incredibly high in fibre, is gluten-free and is often used as a binding agent as it forms a gel when combined with water or fluids.
Bought as a fine powder, psyllium husk is often in recipes to replace gluten as it works to create an elastic dough. So, it is a great alternative to xanthan gum and guar gum to give gluten-free bread a more grainy texture - without the grains!
You can buy psyllium husk powder in most large supermarkets, online or in your local health food shop. Always be sure to check the ingredients to ensure no fillers or bulking agents have been used.
WHY SHOULD I USE FILTERED WATER?
Water is seen as the cleanest and purest drink of them all, but tap water is often home to hidden contaminants and chemicals.
Water filtration removes impurities such as mercury, lead and arsenic which can make their way into the water supply and accumulate to increase our toxic load.
The most economical and environmentally friendly way to enjoy filtered water is to keep a water filter jug in the fridge and top it up with tap water. This will remove toxins for a clean and pure water which doesn't produce plastic packaging waste.
WHAT IS THE BEST SALMON TO USE?
Salmon is a powerhouse of nutrition and a welcome addition to Keto, Paleo and Low Carb lifestyles. It is high in heart healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, something which can help to reduce our unnaturally high Omega-6 intakes further toward the sought after Omega-3-6 ratio of 1:1.
But not all salmon is created equal. Farmed salmon is utilised to produce higher yields but not only is it bad for the environment, it also affects the salmon's nutritional profile - with farm bred salmon containing higher levels of inflammatory Omega-6 and far less healthful Omega-3.
We always choose Wild Caught salmon, which is the sustainable option as well as the gold standard for nutrition - being much higher in minerals and Omega-3 fats than its farmed counterpart.
Make sure to look out for salmon which is also free from added sugar or dextrose. There are options available in the major UK supermarkets.
Grain Free Bread Rolls with Smoked Salmon & Avo Mayo
Keto, Grain-Free & Gluten Free
Makes 6 Bread Rolls
Nutritional Info (Per Bread Roll):
Of which saturates: 4.4g
Of which sugar: 1.4g
WHAT YOU NEED (INGREDIENTS):
- 48g ground psyllium husk powder
- 150g fine almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 3 free range egg whites (we love St Ewe's Eggs)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (we love Willies ACV)
- 230ml filtered water
- Toppings: Pack of Wild Caught smoked salmon, Hunter & Gather Garlic Avocado Oil Mayonnaise & a handful of fresh dill
- Optional: 2 tablespoons sesame seeds to top the buns
WHAT YOU DO (METHOD):
- Preheat the oven to 175C and bring the filtered water to the boil
- Meanwhile, mix the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, salt and baking powder in a large bowl using a whisk
- Next, add the apple cider vinegar and egg whites - combining all the ingredients using a wooden spoon
- Remove the water form the boil and transfer to a heat-proof jug, then gradually add the water to the bread mixture using an electric hand whisk at the same time to mix thoroughly (this will take around 30 seconds)
- Don't be tempted to over whisk your bread mixture as it is now ready to make into rolls - use a little avocado oil to moisten your hands and separate the mixture into 6 even sized balls
- Place your bread rolls onto a greased baking tray and top with sesame seeds if desired, bake on the lowest shelf of the oven for 50-60 minutes - tap the underside of the rolls and listen out for a hollow sound to be sure they're cooked through
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing each bun in half and topping with a generous dollop of mayonnaise, some smoked salmon and a garnish of fresh dill - the tuck in!
All information provided on our website and within our articles is simply information, opinion, anecdotal thoughts and experiences to provide you with the tools to thrive.
It is not intended to treat or diagnose symptoms and is definitely not intended to be misconstrued for medical advice. We always advise you seek the advice of a trained professional when implementing any changes to your lifestyle and dietary habits.
We do however recommend seeking the services of a trained professional who questions the conventional wisdom to enable you to become the best version of yourself.