Your favourite guilty pleasure has just had a healthy makeover - so that you can enjoy a Low Carb, Sugar-Free and Keto friendly caramel slice whenever you're peckish.
Natural, Low Carb and Sugar Free Caramel Slices
Who doesn't love a caramel slice? Instead of enjoying this tasty treat as an occasional indulgence, why not make your own from scratch to give your body a boost of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals.
We use Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil and Grass Fed Organic Ghee, two extremely healthy fats which are completely natural and packed with nutrients. They also add a subtle buttery and coconut flavour in baking recipes.
Made with almond flour, coconut flour and erythritol - these caramel slices are also grain-free, gluten-free, Low Carb and Keto friendly. Most importantly, they taste amazing and will really hit the spot if you have a sweet craving or need a boost of energy.
Low Carb & Keto friendly baking swaps
You might think that baking recipes are unhealthy and a bit of a guilty pleasure. However, by making some simple swaps you can create your own baking treats to enjoy as homemade healthy snacks.
It takes a little imagination but we haven't met a recipe yet which couldn't be reinvented with all natural, real food ingredients. Making your own tasty treats also means you can keep your recipes free from hidden nasties, as well as Low Carb and Keto friendly.
Here are some of our favourite Keto friendly ingredients to bake with.
🧈 Grass Fed Organic Ghee - Use in place of vegetable oil or any other fat - ghee brings a rich buttery flavour that will take your bakes to the next level. It is also a healthy fat which is packed with Omega-3, vitamins and minerals.
🥥 Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil - Is the perfect kitchen staple for using in all your healthy baking recipes. It has a subtle coconut flavour and is a great vegan friendly, plant-based alternative fat.
🧁 Erythritol - Is a sugar alcohol which actually tastes like sugar but doesn't impact your GL in the same way. You can learn more about erythritol in our article below.
And when you're stocked up on all three, here's the recipe!
Keto Chocolate Caramel Slice Recipe
Nutritional info (per serving*):
Of which saturates: 17g
Of which sugar: 0.7g
*Nutritional info per serving with sugar alcohol carbs subtracted
What you need (ingredients):
- 120g almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons erythritol
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 240ml double cream
- 10 tablespoons Grass Fed Organic Ghee
- 200g erythritol
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 5 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon erythritol
What you do (method):
- Heat the oven to 200C and line a small baking dish (ideally a loaf pan) with parchment paper
- Begin by making the base layer: in a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, erythritol, baking powder and salt - add the melted coconut oil and stir until all of the dry ingredients are wet
- Press the base mixture into the baking dish using your hands or a spoon until compacted into a thin layer, then it's into the oven to bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown - before removing and allowing to cool
- To make the caramel layer add the double cream, ghee and erythritol to a saucepan, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium/low
- Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, continuously whisking to ensure it doesn’t burn - then remove from the heat when the mixture has turned a light golden brown and allow to cool
- Pour the caramel mixture onto the cooled base and place in the fridge or freezer until the caramel is cooled and set - this will take roughly 2-4 hours
- To finish, mix the coconut oil, cacao powder and sweetener until it forms a glossy mixture - then pour over the bars and swirl the pan until the caramel layer is totally covered, before leaving to set in the fridge
- Once set, use the parchment paper to remove the bars from the pan, slice into your desired shape and size, then enjoy! You can store the extras in the fridge or freezer