A takeaway staple given a health optimising makeover which makes this recipe anything but junk food!
Meet the Big H&G Burger Casserole 😋
We all know that junk food is bad for us - the clue is in the name after all. Just like fast food, it is usually made with poor quality ingredients, harmful additives and ultra processed food that wreak havoc on our health.
The solution is simple - recreate your fast food favourites at home and you can include everything you want to enjoy, whilst leaving out any ingredients which aren't good for your body.
That's where the Big H&G Burger Casserole comes in - all of the flavours which we know and love, but made with Organic beef mince, fresh veggies and a homemade no added sugar burger sauce.
It's the perfect guilt-free, delicious and nourishing midweek meal.
Hunter & Gather Homemade Burger Sauce 🍅
Burger sauce is a classic accompaniment to, well - you guessed it, burgers!
Usually made with tomato ketchup and mayo amongst a handful or other ingredients, we've swapped out the sugar-laden store cupboard usuals for our very own Unsweetened Classic Ketchup and Avocado Oil Mayonnaise.
The result is an all natural burger sauce that is not only great for serving with your Big H&G Burger Casserole, but also works really well dolloped onto burgers and drizzled over salads.
How does the Big H&G Burger Casserole stack up then? 🍔
If you're worried that enjoying this casserole will come at a cost to your health then fear not.
Each serving provides over 26g protein with just over 4g net carbs and zero added sugars - it's also Keto friendly and gluten-free.
So you can enjoy your casserole as a nourishing midweek meal that the whole family can relish (sorry!) - rather than a guilty pleasure.
Here's the recipe.
Nutritional info (per serving):
Of which saturates: 7,5g
Of which sugars: 2.8g
What you need (ingredients):
- 500g Organic beef mince
- 1 white onion, diced
- I/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g dill pickles (no sugar added)
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- 150g Hunter & Gather Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Hunter & Gather Unsweetened Classic Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons finely diced dill pickle (no sugar added)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
What you do (method):
- Start by preparing the burger sauce - simply add all of the sauce ingredients to a small bowl, stir until combined and set aside
- Preheat a skillet and once hot add the beef mince, cooking until evenly browned (no longer pink) and seasoning with salt & pepper
- Remove the beef mince from the pan and place in a serving dish, leaving the drippings/fat in the skillet
- Add ½ the white onion to the beef fat and cook until golden, roughly 5 minutes, then add to the serving dish once cooked
- Whilst warm, sprinkle the grated cheese over the beef and onions
- Top with the shredded lettuce, cherry tomatoes, chopped onion and pickles - then drizzle liberally with burger sauce and serve with extra sauce on the side!