Rich dark chocolate, gooey caramel and crunchy nuts - minus the added sugar, what's not to love?
Keto, Paleo and Gluten-Free Homemade 'Snickers' Bars 🍫
These nutritious snickers inspired snack bars contain 18.8g healthy fats and 5.2g protein per serving, with only 223 calories each bar.
You can make them in bulk, store in the freezer and grab to enjoy on the go - whenever you might need a natural energy boost or afternoon pick me up!
Made with Hunter & Gather Collagen Creamer and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, this recipe is packed with goodness as well as free from gluten, grains and any added sugars.
Hunter & Gather Collagen Creamer 🥄
They're a great addition to healthy snack recipes to add a boost of collagen peptides, essential amino acids and flavour too.
We add collagen creamer to the base of our 'snickers' bars. Together with ground almonds and coconut oil, the result is a tasty base with a great texture almost like shortbread.
You can learn all about the nutritional and health benefits of collagen creamers in our article below.
Hunter & Gather Organic Coconut Oil 🥥
Our Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil is perfect for using as a healthy fat in baking recipes.
Making your own healthy treats means that you can use nutritious coconut oil in place of the veg & seed oils often used in readymade baked goods.
So you can enjoy vitamins, minerals and naturally energising fats with zero hidden nasties and a great subtle coconut flavour too.
To melt your coconut oil simply pop into a saucepan on a low heat for a minute or so, or pop into the microwave for 30 second increments until melted.
Here's the recipe.
Nutritional info (per serving):
Of which saturates: 7.8g
Of which sugars: 1.1g
What you need (ingredients):
- 115g almond flour
- 50g Hunter & Gather Collagen Creamer (vanilla or creamy cacao)
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 130g cashew or almond butter
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 60g cashews or almonds
- 200g sugar-free chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
What you do (method):
- To start, line an inch-deep baking sheet with parchment paper to ensure you can remove your snickers bars when done!
- For the base layer, simply combine the ingredients and press firmly into an even layer in the bottom of the baking sheet, then place in the freezer for 10 minutes (the mixture may appear a bit crumbly, but it will hold together)
- Next, make the caramel layer by combining the nut butter, coconut oil and vanilla, mixing until smooth - then sprinkle over the flax seed and mix once more until it thickens
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and pour the “caramel” over the top, swirl the sheet to evenly coat the base and place in the freezer for 5 minutes
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer once more and sprinkle the cashews or almonds over the top - they can be whole or chopped - then freeze for another 20 minutes
- When ready to remove from the freezer, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments
- Use the parchment paper to remove the snickers bars from the baking sheet, slice evenly into 8, 16 or 24 portions - then dip into chocolate, sprinkle with sea salt and set in the freezer
- Enjoy from frozen or allow to come to room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving - store extras in the freezer whilst they last!