KETO AND PALEO FRIENDLY, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE AND SUGAR-FREE BASIL PESTO MADE WITH AVOCADO OIL
Pesto is a store cupboard favourite and an extremely versatile ingredient. If you're a pesto fan then you'll be pleased to know that making your own is quick, easy, better for you and even more delicious!
WHAT IS PESTO?
Pesto is a green sauce originating in Genoa, Italy. It is traditionally made using fresh basil leaves, crushed garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. Pesto has a variety of uses but is most often used in Italian cuisine.
WHY SHOULD I MAKE MY OWN PESTO?
Making your own pesto from scratch means you can make sure it is suitable for your Keto or Paleo lifestyle, as well as as fresh and tasty as can be! Homemade pesto is quick, easy and inexpensive too - so once you've tried this recipe you won't go back to store-bought!
One of the main benefits of making your own pesto is that you can use Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Avocado Oil, which has some amazing health benefits and is far superior to the blend of vegetable oils you usually find in store-bought pestos.
You can learn more about the benefits of avocado oil in our article here.
CAN I MAKE PESTO WITHOUT A FOOD PROCESSOR?
If you don't have a food processor you can make this pesto using a smaller blender like a NutriBullet or by hand using a pestle and mortar. Pesto is intended to be slightly coarse and have some texture, so don't worry if yours isn't completely smooth!
WHAT CAN I USE MY PESTO FOR?
Pesto is an extremely versatile ingredient which can be used to replace almost any sauce or dressing. It's perfect for dipping and dunking but can also be used in cooking - try marinating free range chicken fillets, smothering on baked salmon fillets or tossing through cooked veggies for some added flavour.
Here's some recipe suggestions for your homemade basil pesto:
👉 Use as an alternative pizza sauce for Spicy Cheesy Chipotle Keto Pizza
👉 Serve with Ginger Glazed Aubergine for a tasty twist
NUTRITIONAL INFO (PER SERVING):
Of which saturates: 1.4g
Of which Sugars: 0.1g
WHAT YOU NEED (INGREDIENTS):
- 40g fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 120ml Hunter and Gather Avocado Oil
- 30g walnuts
- 60g Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Himalayan salt and cracked black pepper to taste
WHAT YOU DO (METHOD):
- Toast your walnuts by placing in a dry pan over a medium heat, cook for 5 minutes stirring regularly then remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Peel and mince the garlic and add to a food processor together with the cooked walnuts and basil leaves, pulsing until all the ingredients are combined
- Slowly drizzle in the avocado oil and continue to blend until you reach your desired consistency, scraping down the sides as needed
- Season with salt and pepper then add the lemon juice and finely grated parmesan cheese, stirring into the pesto
- Serve right away alongside one of the suggestions above, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
All information provided on our website and within our articles is simply information, opinion, anecdotal thoughts and experiences to provide you with the tools to thrive.
It is not intended to treat or diagnose symptoms and is definitely not intended to be misconstrued for medical advice. We always advise you seek the advice of a trained professional when implementing any changes to your lifestyle and dietary habits.
We do however recommend seeking the services of a trained professional who questions the conventional wisdom to enable you to become the best version of yourself.