Can you guess what it is yet? That's right - a classic favourite sandwich, but with a low carb & grain-free twist.
Introducing the 'Tunacado' sandwich 🥑
Sandwiches have it all - they're convenient, versatile and perfect for enjoying on the move. But what if you're following a low carb or Keto lifestyle?
We're all for recreating bread with a low carb makeover - and love a Fathead Roll or Cloud Bread sandwich as much as the next guy or gal. However, sometimes you need something quick, easy and ready prepared instead.
That's where avocados come in. They're the perfect ready to use, low carb vessel to encase all of your tasty sandwich fillers - with the added bonus of additional healthy fats, vitamins and flavour!
Easy & nutritious homemade pesto 🌱
Store bought pesto may be convenient but it's almost always packed with hidden ingredients including seed oils, preservatives and nasty chemicals.
Besides, you can't beat the vibrant flavour of a fresh homemade pesto. Our recipe uses one of the healthiest fats around - Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Avocado Oil.
It's blended with fresh basil, toasted walnuts and parmesan, with added lemon juice and garlic for a delicious pesto that's full of flavour and goodness.
If you fancy giving it a whirl, here's our Basil Pesto with Avocado Oil recipe.
Or an even easier cheat's alternative! 👇
If you're whipping up a tunacado sandwich in a hurry or don't have the ingredients to hand for homemade pesto - our Basil Pesto Egg Free Mayo is a great alternative.
Simply switch out the pesto and mayo in this recipe, replacing it with the Basil Pesto mayo! You can also stir in a glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to give your mayo more of a saucy, pesto-y consistency.
Whichever pesto you go for, here's the recipe for your tunacado sandwich.
Nutritional info (per serving):
Of which saturates: 5.3g
Of which sugar: 1.6g
What you need (ingredients):
- 1 can wild caught tuna
- 1 tablespoon Hunter & Gather Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Pesto (you can use Hunter & Gather’s recipe)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 slices of tomato
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- Pinch of salt
What you do (method):
- Begin by cutting the avocado in half lengthwise and removing the pit, before scooping out most of the avo flesh, leaving two avocado 'bowls' and saving the flesh for later
- In a small bowl add the drained tuna, mayonnaise, pesto, dill and salt - mix with a fork until well combined
- Using a spoon, pack the tuna mixture into each avocado bowl and top with tomato slices, a drizzle of pesto and a sprinkle of dill
- Serve cold and enjoy!