KETO FATHEAD LOW CARB, GLUTEN FREE SANDWICH ROLLS WITH AVOCADO OIL MAYONNAISE
Sometimes a bacon sandwich or a roll is just what you need! Stuff with your favourite Keto sandwich fillings, add a generous dollop of avocado oil mayonnaise and enjoy!
WHAT IS FATHEAD DOUGH?
Fathead dough is a dough recipe which is usually made using grated cheese, cream cheese, eggs and almond flour. It can be used to replace conventional dough in recipes to make them Keto friendly, low carb, high fat and gluten/grain free.
The dough gets its unusual name from a documentary named 'Fathead', which follows a comedian who loses weight on a high fat diet to challenge conventional opinions on obesity and healthy eating.
Learn more about the importance of healthy fats for optimal health:
CAN I MAKE FATHEAD ROLLS IN ADVANCE?
Because fathead rolls are made with a dough that contains dairy and eggs, they won't last as long or keep as well as conventional bread rolls. So, we recommend making them fresh and enjoying as soon as possible once cooked, for the best taste and texture.
However, once you have made your fathead dough it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days, so you can always cook individual rolls as and when they are needed instead of cooking as a batch.
WHICH SANDWICH FILLINGS ARE KETO FRIENDLY?
You can fill your Keto fathead rolls with any of your favourite sandwich fillings. Here are some of our favourite Keto friendly combos:
- Italian Style: Parma ham, sliced Burrata cheese, beef tomato and fresh basil - goes well with Garlic Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- Classic BLT: Crispy streaky bacon, lettuce and tomato - goes well with Classic Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- Breakfast Sandwich: Smashed avocado, fried egg and crispy bacon pieces - goes well will with Chipotle Lime Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
NUTRITIONAL INFO (PER SERVING):
Of which saturates: 7g
Of which sugars: 1g
WHAT YOU NEED (INGREDIENTS):
- 60g grated mozzarella cheese
- 60g full fat cream cheese
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100g fine almond flour
- Hunter and Gather Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- Optional fillings as suggested above
WHAT YOU DO (METHOD):
- Preheat the oven to 175C and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Add the mozzarella and cream cheese to a medium sized microwave-safe bowl and microwave on a high heat in 30 second increments, until both have melted
- Stir the two cheeses together for one minute or so, until they cool down slightly
- Add the egg, almond flour and garlic granules - use your hands to mix until the dough forms one cohesive ball - it will be sticky!
- Divide the dough into 6 and roll into evenly shaped balls, place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, covering with tin foil halfway through if they appear to be getting too brown
- Once cooked, allow to cool before slicing open and adding your choice of fillings and a thick slathering of Hunter and Gather Avocado Oil Mayo!