Crispy cheesy waffles that are Gluten Free, Low Carb and Keto friendly! Prepare to meet your new favourite snack...and brunch...and lunch... and dessert actually!
What on Earth is a Chaffle?!
Like all amazing Keto recipes, the Chaffle was invented by some genius who thought they would create a Keto friendly version of waffles - rather than resigning to a lifetime without them.
Waffles are usually made using flour, baking powder and milk. So they are off the menu for many ancestrally inspired lifestyles, especially those which follow Low Carb or Keto eating templates. That's where Chaffles come in.
Chaffles uses gooey and oozy grated cheese to provide the bulk of the 'waffle' (hungry yet?!) In this recipe, cheese is added to eggs, a small amount of almond flour and our Collagen Peptides Protein Powder for crispy and fluffy waffles that are high in protein and fat, but low in carbs!
You can serve your Chaffles savoury or sweet with a variety of Keto friendly toppings. We've added a dash of vanilla essence to compliment the fresh berries and whipped cream for this sweet Chaffles recipe.
How to make the perfect Chaffle
You will need a waffle iron or electric waffle maker to prepare your Chaffles. Whichever you have to hand or prefer, you can use it to make this recipe.
Electric waffle irons are great for lazy Chaffles as they regulate the temperature and take out the flipping and guesswork - they usually reduce the amount of mess too!
However, we're a sucker for old school kitchen gadgets and love the fun of using a traditional waffle iron! If you do too, just be sure to flip the waffle iron every couple of minutes to ensure an even cook and crispy coating.
Can you add Collagen to baking recipes?
We could only think of one way to improve Chaffles - by adding our Collagen Peptides Protein Powder!
There has been some debate over whether you should add collagen to hot food and drinks, but early research and anecdotal findings support that adding collagen to healthy recipes is a great way to enjoy it! Learn more in our articles below:
Now we've built up an appetite, here's the recipe!
Nutritional info (per serving):
Of which saturates: 16.5g
Of which sugar: 2.6g
What you need (ingredients):
- 2 free range eggs
- 225g grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Hunter & Gather Collagen Peptides
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- Whipped cream & fresh berries for serving
What you do (method):
- Preheat a waffle iron or electric waffle maker
- In a small bowl whisk together all the waffle ingredients
- Divide the batter among the waffle irons and cook for 3-6 minutes depending on your cooking method - remember to flip once or twice if using a standard waffle iron
- Remove the Chaffles and leave to cool for 1-2 minutes on a wire rack, this will allow them to crisp up!
- Top with a scoop of whipped cream and fresh berries if desired, enjoy whilst still warm!