Pigs in cheesy blankets - Gluten Free & Keto Friendly, the perfect gift for yourself this Christmas!
Did somebody say sausage roll?
Let's face it, sausage rolls don't usually scream optimal health! But done right, homemade sausage rolls can actually be a great high fat, high protein snack - perfect for your Keto lifestyle.
We'd recommend sourcing Organic, Grass Fed pork sausages for the best flavour and quality. We love these gluten free & preservative free pork sausages from Thomas Joseph Butchery.
Cook them from frozen, allow to cool and wrap lovingly in your cheesy pastry before baking in the oven for best results.
Gluten Free & Keto Friendly
This recipe uses almond flour to keep it free from gluten and low in carbs.
We add grated cheese and olive oil mayo for a boost of healthy fats, combined with free range egg to create a golden and rich pastry.
Hunter & Gather Classic Olive Oil Mayonnaise
Our Classic Olive Oil Mayonnaise is made with simply 4 real food ingredients, no artificial preservatives, inflammatory unhealthy fats or added sugar.
It is a great source of healthy fats, which makes it the perfect addition to this Keto friendly 'pastry' - creating a buttery dough that's wonderfully rich and golden.
As well as using in recipes such as this one, our Classic Olive Oil Mayo is ideal for dipping, dunking and dolloping. It's also gluten-free and Keto friendly.
Learn more about the benefits of olive oil mayo in our article below.
🫒 Why you should make the switch to olive oil mayonnaise
Ready to roll? Here's the recipe!
Nutritional info (per serving*):
Of which saturates: 8.5g
Of which sugar: 1.7g
*Per sausage roll - but will vary depending on which sausages are used
What you need (ingredients):
- 225g grated mozzarella
- 2 Free Range eggs
- 150g almond flour
- 3 tablespoons Hunter & Gather Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- 6 Free Range, Organic pork sausages (cooked)
What you do (method):
- Add the almond flour, eggs, grated mozzarella and mayonnaise to a large bowl and mix until a sticky dough forms
- Divide the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and use a spoon to shape into 2 even sized discs, before refrigerating for at least 45 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough into long, thin rectangles and slice into 6 equal size portions long enough to cover a sausage
- Place each sausage at the end of each pastry square and use the parchment paper to roll the dough around the sausage - using your fingers to close any gaps and seal the pastry
- Add the pastry wrapped sausages to a parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 20-25 minutes - once cooked the sausage rolls will be golden brown and crunchy on top!