We're not actually sure this gooey, rich, indulgent chocolate cake actually needs any introduction to entice you in - just know that it tastes as good as it looks!
This delicious cake recipe is made without refined sugar, grains or seed oils and has a secret mayo ingredient that might surprise you. Read on to hear more!
Is Erythritol Keto friendly?
Erythritol is a sugar alcohol which is is a favourite sugar replacement thanks to its naturally sweet taste. It's around 70% as sweet as sugar and is naturally derived from fruits and plant extracts.
Whilst erythritol contains carbohydrates, these are not digestible in the human gut and pass straight through the body without raising blood sugars. So, this natural sugar replacement is fine to enjoy as part of your Keto lifestyle.
Powdered erythritol has a texture somewhere between granulated and powdered sugar, so is perfect for using in baking recipes such as this one.
Check out our article below to learn more about Erythritol and other Keto friendly sugar replacements.
What is mayonnaise doing in my cake mixture?!
It may seem strange to see mayonnaise on the list of ingredients for a cake, but mayo is actually made predominantly of 2 ingredients usually found in cake - oil and eggs. So, why not cut out the middleman and add some mayo instead?
Adding mayonnaise to your batter helps to make a really rich and moist cake. Hunter & Gather Classic Avocado Oil Mayonnaise is the perfect choice for baking with as it is thick with a mild and creamy flavour.
We make our Classic Mayo using 100% avocado oil and British free range egg yolk - so you don't have to compromise on quality or flavour, even if you're mayo is ending up in a cake!
Keto friendly chocolate cake
This recipe makes enough chocolate cake for 12 people - though we can't guarantee that you will stick to one slice each! It contains just 4.1g carbs and 1.7g sugar per serving, as well as 42.2g fat.
The bad news is that knowing this cake doesn't have to be a guilty pleasure means that you will struggle to convince yourself not to keep going back to it!
Here's the recipe.
Keto, Sugar Free + Gluten Free
Nutritional info (per serving):
Of which saturates: 9.7g
Of which sugar: 1.7g
What you need (ingredients):
- 190g almond flour
- 150g powdered erythritol
- 65g cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon grain-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 240g Hunter & Gather Classic Avo Mayo
- 3 free range eggs
- 80ml water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 35g cocoa powder
- 120g room temperature butter
- 150g room temperature full fat cream cheese
- 125g powdered erythritol
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What you do (method):
- Start by preheating the oven to 175C and lining 2 round baking dishes with parchment paper greased with coconut oil or butter (smaller tins will result in smaller, but taller cakes and larger tins will make larger, shallower cakes)
- In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, erythritol, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until combined
- In another bowl or jug whisk together the eggs, Hunter & Gather Mayonnaise, water and vanilla
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and whisk until a thick cake batter forms
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 pans and bake for 18-20 minutes until the top of the cakes are just set
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pans until cool enough to carefully remove and place on a cooling rack
- Add the softened cream cheese and butter to a stand mixer and beat until smooth (alternatively, mix in a bowl using a hand mixer)
- Next add the vanilla, cocoa and powdered erythritol before starting the mixer slowly and beating until thick and glossy
- Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes before frosting the cake
To finish the cake, simply place one layer on a plate or cake stand - a small dollop of frosting under the base layer will keep the cake from sliding! Use ⅓ of the frosting to frost the top of the first layer before placing the second layer on top. Place the remaining frosting on top of the cake, spreading it out to the edges and down the sides of the cake to get an even layer. Divide into 12 even slices and enjoy!