KETO & GLUTEN-FREE PIZZA WITH UNSWEETENED SPICY CHIPOTLE KETCHUP
Keto and pizza may not be two words you'd expect to see in the same sentence - but we've given this favourite takeaway dish a Keto makeover so that it's Low Carb and yet still delicious!
How Can I Make a Low Carb Keto Pizza Crust?
Pizza is the ultimate comfort food but take away the crust and it's nothing more than a saucy cheese fondue (don't get us wrong, that does sound good too!) So, instead of removing the crust - why not reinvent it to remove the grains and reduce the carb content? That's exactly what we've done for this recipe. Our Keto base is made without the flour and sugar usually found in conventional pizza; instead we use free range eggs and mozzarella cheese to make a delicious pizza crust and the perfect base for your Keto toppings!
Why Should I Use Unsweetened Spicy Chipotle Ketchup?
Store-bought pizza sauces are often packed with hidden nasties such as artificial ingredients, preservatives, seed oils and added sugars. Making your own is an option but requires a little more effort and the willpower to allow the sauce to cool before it is added to the pizza!
Our Unsweetened Spicy Chipotle Ketchup is the perfect solution, made with no sugar, dates or sweeteners and ready to dollop right onto that Keto pizza base! The addition of chipotle chillies and spices will give your pizza a fiery flavour that will awaken your taste buds without overwhelming them!
What are Good Toppings for a Keto Pizza?
This recipe recommends pepperoni and olives to top your Keto pizza. Both are high in fat and low in carbs, so ideal for sprinkling atop your Keto base! Cured meats like pepperoni often contain dextrose, so keep your eyes peeled on the ingredients list. Opt for parma ham or chorizo instead if you are unable to find a Keto friendly pepperoni.
If you're not a pepperoni and olives kinda person you can top your pizza with whatever you prefer instead - here are some Keto friendly combos:
- Barbecue Chicken - shredded chicken with Hunter & Gather Smokey Barbecue Sauce as an alternative pizza sauce
- Spicy Mushroom - crispy bacon, onions, mushroom & jalapeños
- Simple Margherita - add torn mozzarella and fresh basil leaves
- Greek Style - red onion, feta, sun-dried tomatoes & olives
Don't forget, our Avocado Oil Mayonnaise is the ideal Keto condiment for dipping and dunking your pizza slices into!
Can I Store This Dish?
Your Keto pizza will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days and reheats easily in the microwave (reheat on a piece of baking paper to prevent a soggy base!) You can also make the bases in batches, keeping them in the freezer for up to 3 months, so that they're ready and waiting to be turned into pizza whenever takes your fancy!
Nutritional Info (Per Serving):
Of which saturates: 8.5g
Of which sugar: 3.8g
What You Need (Ingredients):
For the Pizza Crust:
- 4 free range eggs (we love St Ewe's)
- 170g grated mozzarella cheese
For the Pizza Topping:
- 3 tablespoons Hunter & Gather Unsweetened Spicy Chipotle Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 170g grated cheddar cheese
- 45g pepperoni slices
- Handful of pitted olives
What You Do (Method):
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F)
- Start by making the crust - crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl and add the grated mozzarella cheese, whisking to combine
- Spoon the cheese and egg mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, use a spatula to form a large circular base (you could also half the mixture and cook two smaller pizza bases, but be careful to adjust the cooking times and ensure they don't burn)
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the pizza crust turns golden, remove and allow to cool for a minute or two
- Increase the oven temperature to 225C (450F)
- Spread your Hunter & Gather Unsweetened Spicy Chipotle Ketchup onto the crust leaving an edge around the perimeter, sprinkle the oregano on top of the sauce and add your cheddar cheese and chosen toppings
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the pizza is a nice golden brown
- Divide into slices and serve with a fresh salad, some leafy green veg or a simple dollop of your favourite Hunter & Gather Avocado Oil Mayonnaise!
Recipe Video Walkthrough:
All information provided on our website and within our articles is simply information, opinion, anecdotal thoughts and experiences to provide you with the tools to thrive.
It is not intended to treat or diagnose symptoms and is definitely not intended to be misconstrued for medical advice. We always advise you seek the advice of a trained professional when implementing any changes to your lifestyle and dietary habits.
We do however recommend seeking the services of a trained professional who questions the conventional wisdom to enable you to become the best version of yourself.