Paleo Collagen Powder Protein Bars with Coconut and Dark Chocolate
Cold-Pressed, Raw, Snack Bars with Collagen Peptides, Coconut, Dark Chocolate, and Sea Salt
Collagen is such a versatile protein powder, that you can make your very own at-home protein bars, without added refined sugars or nasties. Perfect as a summer snack, or for a special occasion.
Are Dates ok to eat if following Paleo?
Yes, dates are classed as paleo as they are a naturally grown fruit that have been utilised for thousands of years and they require no processing. The Majool date is the most frequently used and is often used as a replacement for refined sugars.
For us, we believe that natural foods with non-refined sugars can have a place in our Hunter-Gatherer style diets. These foods with natural sugars, such as Honey and fruits would have been more available in the summer months and limiting the amount you have and at what times throughout the year can mean you can still enjoy these as part if a lower carb Paleo lifestyle.
Can I eat dates if I am following Keto or I am diabetic?
Dates are high in naturally occurring sugars - up to 60% sugar and 75g of carbs per 100g of dates makes these generally not suitable for the ketogenic diet, unless in minuscule quantities. The aim of the Keto diet is to limit your daily carbohydrate intake to below 50g (or in some cases 20g) of Net carbs.
If you are diabetic we would also recommend you opting for foods lower in natural sugars as well as refined sugars. This means dates should also be avoided for you too, but do speak with your Nutritional Health Practitioner or Doctor if you are unsure.
What can I substitute for the dates instead?
When making this recipe, you can substitute the dates for coconut flour, almond flour or more nut butter. To obtain a similar stickiness, you could also opt for Yacon Syrup (a natural syrup from the Yacon Roots, that has a low GI impact).
Can I make a batch and then freeze these protein bars?
Yes, you could make a big batch of these, cut them into small bites and freeze them. Perfect for taking with you to a picnic or celebration too.
Grain-Free Protein Bars with Hydrolysed Collagen Recipe
Paleo, Refined Sugar-Free, Low Carb
Makes 9-12 bars, depending on size
What You Need (Ingredients):
- 150 grams desiccated coconut or coconut flakes
- 270 grams pitted & deseeded dates
- 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
- 25g Hunter and Gather Collagen peptides
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ½ a dark chocolate bar (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- sea salt, for sprinkling
What You Do (Method):
- Preheat the oven to 175c and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If the dates are hard, cover them and soak in boiling water. If they are soft, skip the soaking step.
- Spread the coconut into a single layer on the baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden brown, roughly 8-10 minutes.
- Add the toasted coconut, dates (be sure to remove them from the water first), nut butter, Hunter and Gather Collagen Peptides and vanilla to a food processor or blender. Pulse until combined! Stop and scrape down the machine as you go until you have a sticky ball.
- Form the Collagen Protein Bars into whatever shape you like. Feel free to choose balls or to press them into bars. For this recipe, a standard loaf pan lined with parchment works well. Press the mixture into the pan + leave in the fridge to cool.
- Optional: Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together. Drizzle over the bars or dip the balls. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Recipes
With grass-fed lamb, Organic lettuce and a dollop of avocado oil mayonnaise, Low carb has never been so tasty! Why not make a batch, cook and then freeze them - so you can have them for lunch later in the week.
Bored with the bland salad lunch option? - you know the limp lettuce, tomato, and cucumber number that is about as exciting as watching paint dry as well as being nutritionally lacking. Well, we are here to help with this nutrient-dense, tasty, dressing recipe that will add the excitement without the refined sugars, seed oils or chemicals - YUK.