Take your lunch, brunch or even snack to the next level with juicy chicken, crispy bacon and velvety lemon mayo - all wrapped in a delicious grain-free cassava wrap!
What is Cassava? Is it gluten-free?
Cassava is a root vegetable native to South America, Asia & Africa and popular worldwide as a gluten-free and grain-free alternative to flour. Unlike many gluten-free flours which have to be blended with other ingredients, cassava makes for a great flour on its own.
Flour made using cassava has a neutral flavour, so it is ideal for using in baking and recipes such as this. It also has a smooth texture which isn't grainy, so is really versatile.
You can find cassava flour in most large supermarkets and can also get it online. Be sure to choose organic and check for 100% cassava to rule out any hidden nasties.
Keto friendly wrap alternatives
Wraps and tortillas are a really convenient and delicious way to enjoy food on the go, but they're usually made using wheat or corn and so aren't Keto, Paleo or Gluten-free. Cassava is also higher in carbs than other alternatives, therefore not an option if you follow Keto or Low Carb.
The good news is that there are also some ready to use wrap alternatives that will fit right in with your Keto lifestyle.
Here are 5 awesome Keto friendly wrap alternatives:
🥬 Green leafy veg - wrap your favourite fillings in crunchy greens for a healthy nutrient boost - crunchy kale is a winner
🥩 Sliced meat - thinly sliced meat works great as a delicious carnivore friendly vessel for your fillings - we especially enjoy parma ham
🧀 Cheese - pre sliced cheese is a great thing to wrap your food in for an extra protein boost - flexible varieties like edam and gouda work really well!
🍳 Omelette - whip up a 1 or 2 egg omelette in a large pan, cook and allow to cool before using as a wrap
🌿 Seaweed - packed with nutrients and flavour, seaweed is perfect for wrapping up smoked salmon or tuna
Why you should switch to olive oil mayonnaise
The main ingredient in all mayonnaise is oil - so its really important to choose mayo which is made with a healthy fat!
Olive oil is a fat which has withstood the test of time to remain a firm favourite and kitchen cupboard staple. It's packed with healthy fats, vitamins and antioxidants.
Choosing a mayo made using olive oil is a great way to enjoy the health benefits and flavour of olive oil, in a delicious Keto friendly condiment! Learn more in our article below.
👉 Why you should make the switch to olive oil mayonnaise
Hungry yet? Here's the recipe!
Nutritional info (per serving*):
Of which saturates: 11.7g
Of which sugar: 2.8g
Protein: 17.2g*Per serving of 1 wrap, 13 grams of mayo, ¼ the chicken, 1 rasher bacon + 2 olives
What you need (ingredients):
Chicken & Bacon Filling
- 2 large Free Range chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 rashers of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 handful of pitted olives
- Handful fresh chives
- Hunter & Gather Olive Oil Mayo
- Himalayan salt & cracked black pepper
- 140g cassava flour
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 free range egg
What you do (method):
- To make the wraps, simply whisk together all of the ingredients and place ¼ of the batter onto a large, hot skillet (cast iron works well) - cook for 1-2 minutes per side, small bubbles will appear on the top when ready to flip! (once cooked on both sides, set aside to cool)
- To prepare the simple wraps, spread the desired amount of Hunter & Gather Olive Oil Mayo onto a wrap and add ¼ of the shredded chicken, 1 rasher of chopped bacon and a sprinkling of olives and chives
- Season with salt and pepper before rolling into a burrito shape, folding in the ends to keep the insides from spilling out
- Slice in half and enjoy!