Paleo & Keto Celeriac Chips cooked in Avocado Oil
A recipe to make Paleo and Keto Celeriac Crisps (French Fries or Chips)
The humble chip or french fry - I am sure is a staple in most people's upbringing, they just go with pretty much everything right! Especially dunking in avocado mayonnaise.
The issue with potato is that many (including Co-Founder Amy) can have a reaction to potatoes. Potatoes are also high in carbohydrates making it a no go for those following a Keto Lifestyle. We wanted to create a recipe for chips suitable to be eaten on the Keto & Paleo diet that are also cooked in non-inflammatory oils such as avocado oil.
Can I eat potatoes on Keto or Paleo?
In short, No, if you are strictly following the Paleo or Keto template then white potatoes are not something that is recommended. This is due to the high carbohydrate and starches present in the potatoes. Some people are choosing to cook and cool their potatoes which increases the resistance nature of the starches present in the potatoes (read more here). Alternatively, some are opting for Sweet Potato, celeriac or radish as an alternative to the white potato.
Standard white potatoes have roughly 17g of Carbs per 100g - which if you are following a strict 20g of carbs per day on Keto, will quickly use up your daily carbohydrate macro.
In comparison, celeriac has only 5.9g of Carbs per 100g
What Vegetables can I eat on a Keto Diet?
As mentioned above, potatoes are generally a no go when following Keto, due to the high levels of carbohydrates. Leafy greens will be your go-to when following Keto as well as options like Celeriac, Radishes, Kohlrabi, and cauliflower. You can learn more about the Keto diet in our Free E-book download here.
Can I use Rapeseed oil or Vegetable oil on Keto when cooking chips?
We do not recommend eating any seed or vegetable oils in any food products for those that are following Paleo, Keto or any lifestyle. We believe that these oils are inflammatory and contribute to a host of modern diseases.
This is why we promise that our products will always be free from not only sugars and grains but inflammatory seed and vegetable oils too. You can learn more about vegetable and seed oils here.
What vegetables can I make keto chips from?
We are always looking for fun ways to make chips or other foods out of low carb vegetables. The best option we have found for making chips is the Celeriac however, radishes make awesome fried potatoes with garlic and avocado oil too!
Here is some other options you can also try to use as a potato alternative:
- Radishes (for roasting)
- Kohlrabi (for chips)
- Cauliflower (for mashing)
Low Carb & Gluten-Free French Fries Recipe
Paleo, Keto, Refined Sugar Free, Dairy Free and Low Carb
What You Need (Ingredients):
- 1 large celeriac bulb
- 2 tablespoons Hunter and Gather Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- Hunter and Gather Chili and Lime Avocado oil Mayonnaise for dipping
What You Do (Method):
- Either preheat an air fryer to 200c/400f or preheat the oven to the same temperature. If using an oven, create a makeshift “fryer” pan by placing a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Peel the hard skin off of the celeriac and chop into desired shapes. Thinner “chips” will cook more quickly and be more crispy.
- Toss the chips with the avocado oil and spices.
- If cooking in an air fryer, cook for 15 minutes – shaking the basket once halfway. If baking in the oven, arrange the chips in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the chips to the other side. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown!
- Serve alongside Hunter and Gather Chili and Lime Avocado Oil Mayonnaise.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Recipes
Wouldn't life be awesome if after a long day you could just reheat dinner for the entire family that is still healthy, tasty, and Grain-free?
This is an easy Paleo, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free skillet recipe that is simple, delicious and perfect for batch cooking.