Warming Beef Stew with Bone Broth
Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free & Paleo-friendly
This warming beef stew is the ultimate family pleaser, packed with flavour, it gives you a great boost as well as being suitable to be frozen, for lunches or future dinners.
We knock up a big batch and freeze in portions, for those days when you just don't have the time to cook.
What You Need:
- 3 tablespoons Hunter and Gather Avocado oil
- 750 grams cubed stewing beef
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 300 grams thinly sliced yellow onions (roughly 4 small or 2 large onions)
- 150 grams cubed carrots
- 150 grams cubed parsnips
- 200 grams cubed turnips
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 950 mls stock or bone broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 100 grams chopped kale or spinach
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons room temperature water
- juice from half a lemon
What You Do:
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pan with 2 tablespoons Hunter and Gather Avocado Oil.
- Season beef with salt and pepper before adding into the hot pan.
- Sear the beef (cook until a nice golden crust has formed) on each side, roughly 1-2 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan + set aside for later.
- Add the final tablespoon of Hunter and Gather Avocado Oil, the thinly sliced onion, cubed carrots, and chopped garlic to the pan. Sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, parsnips, turnips, dried thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer (slow bubble), and add back in the beef and all of its juices.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add the kale and cook for 30 additional minutes, uncovered.
- In a separate bowl, mix an arrowroot blend by combining the arrowroot powder (or tapioca starch) with the water. Pour blend into the soup and cook until desired consistency is reached.
- Adjust salt + pepper to taste. Just before serving, squeeze in the lemon juice to make all of the flavours pop. Serve and enjoy!