Festive Roast Turkey recipe that is suitable for Keto, Paleo, Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Lifestyles.
There is nothing like a roasted turkey to symbolise Christmas and this recipe using avocado oil is the perfect way to get a crispy skin without burning your oil and smoking out your kitchen this festive period.
Why use avocado oil?
We use avocado oil for this recipe as it makes a great baste to stick the chopped herbs to the turkey. It also has a really high smoke point of 250C so it is the perfect oil for roasting in the oven to avoid burning and smoking. No one likes a smokey kitchen, especially on Christmas day when the family are around. We have all been there when the fire alarm goes off accidentally followed by frantic waving of the kitchen towel.
Where do you buy your turkeys from? Are they Free-range?
We buy our Christmas Turkey from a local free range butcher. Check the provenance of your turkey and try and buy earlier in the season and freeze. Just make sure you leave plenty of time for defrosting as a frozen turkey can take up to 24 hours per 2.2kg of meat to thaw!
Can I use this recipe for chicken too?
Yes, definitely! it makes a lovely crispy skin and we always use avocado oil on our chicken thighs throughout the year.
Is avocado oil the best oil for roasting?
Avocado oil has a really high smoke point (250C), so is the perfect oil for all your cooking needs.You can fry, roast, drizzle, dip or bake with avocado oil - even an Extra Virgin standard of oil.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Of which saturates: 2g
Of which sugars: 0g
What You Need (Ingredients):
- 1 defrosted turkey of desired size
- 60-120 mls Hunter and Gather Avocado Oil (amount depends on size of turkey)
- 50 grams of mixed herbs: sage, rosemary, thyme, parsley
- 2 teaspoons Pink Himalayan salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 onion
What You Do (Method):
- Start by preheating the oven to 165 degrees.
- Ensure the turkey is fully thawed. Remove from package (ensure to remove any giblets from cavity)
- Pat dry with a clean paper towel and place on a roasting pan with a roasting rack.
- In a small bowl, mix the avocado oil, chopped herbs, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the turkey.
- Cut the onion in half and stuff inside of the cavity.
- Roast the turkey for 30-35 minutes per kilo or until the turkey is 75 degrees inside. Cover with foil if the top starts to brown too quickly.
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes once it’s removed from the oven, carve and enjoy!
All information provided on our website and within our articles is simply information, opinion, anecdotal thoughts and experiences to provide you with the tools to thrive.
It is not intended to treat or diagnose symptoms and is definitely not intended to be misconstrued for medical advice. We always advise you seek the advice of a trained professional when implementing any changes to your lifestyle and dietary habits.
We do however recommend seeking the services of a trained professional who questions the conventional wisdom to enable you to become the best version of yourself.