If you’ve never tried bulletproof coffee, you may be unfamiliar with the health benefits associated with this unorthodox morning ritual. Bulletproof coffee is regular brewed coffee with a dollop of grass-fed butter, and it could help improve satiety, sharpen mental focus and boost your energy levels throughout the day.
Below, we explain what bulletproof coffee is, how to make it and why you may want to incorporate it into your morning routine.
What Is Bulletproof Coffee in the UK?
Put simply, bulletproof coffee in the UK and around the world is regular black coffee with 1-2 tablespoons of fat added to it. Typically, people use unsalted butter in their bulletproof coffee, but you can also add MCT oil, ghee, coconut cream, avocado oil or coconut oil. Bulletproof coffee is typically enjoyed as a meal replacement for breakfast.
The original bulletproof coffee recipe was created by Dave Asprey, the founder of Bulletproof Coffee, modern-day biohacker and best-selling author . The Bulletproof Diet, also developed by Asprey, focuses on a real-food eating plan incorporating healthy fats, high-quality protein and few carbohydrates in order to enter ketosis. The diet also combines a keto-style eating plan with intermittent fasting and daily bulletproof coffee in order to reduce inflammation, boost mental clarity and improve fat loss.
Different Names for Bulletproof Coffee
There are a number of variations, recipes and names for bulletproof coffee. Here are several names you may have heard before:
- Fat butter coffee: Fat butter coffee is exactly what it sounds like — butter added to your morning cup of coffee. Adding butter to coffee increases the fat content and makes the coffee rich, creamy and delicious.
- Dairy-free bulletproof coffee: If you are lactose intolerant, you can still enjoy bulletproof coffee. You can make bulletproof coffee dairy-free by swapping out butter for regular extra virgin coconut oil or MCT coconut oil.
- Collagen coffee: Collagen coffee is regular coffee blended with collagen peptide protein powder. Hunter & Gather collagen peptides are unflavoured, so it won't alter the taste of your coffee. In addition, a daily dose of collagen supports your gut health, skin, hair and nail strength.
- Bulletproof coffee with MCT oil: Want an added dose of healthy fats? Try adding 1 tablespoon of grass-fed butter and 1 tablespoon of MCT oil to your coffee (like the recipe shared below).
- Bulletproof cold brew: You can enjoy a bulletproof coffee with iced coffee. Simply make coffee with a French press, combine with butter or MCT oil, then pour over ice. To account for the ice diluting your beverage, we recommend making your brew extra strong.
What Are the Health Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee?
While research is still growing, preliminary evidence shows that bulletproof coffee helps improve concentration, boost weight loss (fat loss) and reduce inflammation. Here are several health benefits you might enjoy from bulletproof coffee:
- Reduced inflammation: Research shows that dairy products (like butter) from grass-fed cows have more omega-3 fatty acids than dairy from grain-fed cows . Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce the inflammatory response in the body.
- Boosted weight loss: Consuming MCT oil in your bulletproof coffee may help speed up your weight loss Research shows that MCT oil consumption helps boost excess fat loss more than other types of fat, like olive oil .
- Decreased blood sugar levels: High-quality grass-fed butter has higher levels of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) than butter from grain-fed animals . CLA has been shown to improve blood sugar and insulin levels and decrease the risk of Type 2 diabetes .
- Decrease hunger levels: Eating a diet high in fats — like the keto diet — helps reduce appetite and increase satiety levels . In addition, anecdotal evidence shows that eating a high-fat bulletproof coffee first thing in the morning reduces hunger levels .
- Improved mental clarity: The caffeine in a cup of bulletproof coffee helps improve mental focus . In addition, following a low-carb, high-fat diet like the ketogenic diet can help boost your concentration .
Why Add MCT Oil To Bulletproof Coffee?
Ever wondered how to utilise MCT oil as part of your daily routine?
Medium chain triglyceride is the long name for MCT. It's a medium-chain fatty acid that is derived from coconut meat. Hunter & Gather Organic MCT Oil is 100% coconut and is triple steam distilled — no palm or rapeseed oils are used. MCTs are rapidly converted by the liver into ketones, helping to provide an immediate energy source.
We recommend using MCT oil in your morning brew along with collagen peptides and grass-fed butter to give you a boost in energy level. Plus, the essential amino acid content will keep you full until lunchtime. Coffee with MCT oil is ideal for those following the keto diet to increase your healthy fat intake whilst keeping your carb count down. Below, you’ll find a bulletproof coffee with MCT oil recipe to start your day.
How To Make Bulletproof Coffee With MCT Oil and Collagen Protein From the UK
To make bulletproof coffee, you'll need a cup of regular or decaf coffee and a healthy fat source. You can use grass-fed butter (such as Kerrygold), MCT oil or coconut oil. If you want an added dose of amino acids, you can add a scoop of collagen peptides. If you prefer, you can add a dash of vanilla extract or cinnamon, or add a keto-friendly sweetener such as monk fruit or stevia.
The instructions below make one cup of coffee. You can double the recipe to make two cups of this upgraded coffee.
What You Need (Ingredients)
- 15 grams freshly ground coffee
- 230 millilitres boiled water
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- 2 teaspoons collagen (recommended up to 2 tablespoons per day)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted grass-fed butter
- Handheld whisk/milk frother
What You Do (Method)
1) Ground the coffee beans and add into a cafetiere or V60 coffee filter.
2) Add the boiled (and slightly cooled) water to the coffee and allow to brew for 3-5 minutes.
3) In a jug, add the MCT oil, collagen and butter.
4) Pour over the hot coffee.
5) Whisk together until creamy, frothy and fully blended.
6) Serve and enjoy!
Enjoy a Cup of Bulletproof Coffee To Start Your Morning
Looking for a new boost to your morning routine? Drinking a cup of bulletproof coffee can help boost your energy levels, kick cravings, decrease your appetite and reach your fat loss goals. In addition, it can help sharpen your mental focus and clarity, allowing you to tackle your day.
Bulletproof coffee was originally started by Dave Asprey, but gained traction in keto, paleo and ancestral health communities. To make a cup of bulletproof coffee, just add 1-2 tablespoons of healthy saturated fats, like MCT oil, coconut oil or grass-fed butter.
For more real food keto recipes, be sure to check out the low-carbohydrate and ancestral meal ideas on the Hunter & Gather site.
All information provided on our website and within our articles is simply information, opinion, anecdotal thoughts and experiences to provide you with the tools to thrive.
It is not intended to treat or diagnose symptoms and is definitely not intended to be misconstrued for medical advice. We always advise you seek the advice of a trained professional when implementing any changes to your lifestyle and dietary habits.
We do however recommend seeking the services of a trained professional who questions the conventional wisdom to enable you to become the best version of yourself.