A quick post on a topic I hold dear to my heart (excuse the pun)… I will dive deeper into this topic another time, however, we hope this whets your appetite for more!
Anyone else noticed that fat is having a bit of a moment? We’re talking fat as in the nutrient fat. You realise fat is a nutrient, an essential one at that, unlike carbohydrate. It has however had a bad rap the past few decades until NOW!
Obviously we’re big fat fans at Hunter & Gather, especially of the all-important avocado oil. We love it, but we also love nutrient fat from a whole host of sources such as coconut, lamb tallow, grass fed meat and eggs.
The thing is, for more than 40 years we’ve been told that FAT is the ENEMY (for reasons we will explain another time). We know it isn’t, you know it isn’t, but we’ve all got those friends and family members who still follow a low-fat lifestyle and ask things like “is it fattening”?
So… here’s some FAT FACTS to share next time someone is opting for low-fat mayo…
- Our brains are mostly fat. Rachel Kelly, author of The Happiness Diet says: ““Sixty percent of our brain is fat. So we need healthy fats for a healthy brain,” It has been shown that omega 3 fatty acids improve cognitive performance.
- Fat can help you get THIN. We know it seems counter-intuitive, but as the author of Eat Fat, Get Thin, Dr Mark Hyman said on a recent post “Healthy cell walls made from high-quality fats are better able to metabolize insulin, which keeps blood sugar better regulated. Without proper blood sugar control, the body socks away fat for a rainy day. The right fats also increase fat burning, cut your hunger and reduce fat storage. Eating the right fats makes you lose weight, while eating excess sugar and the wrong types of fat make you fat.” (He also notes that one of his favourite sources of fat is avocados!)
- Fat can help with skin issues – itchy, flaky skin, bumps on the back of your arms – you could be suffering from a lack of fat.
- Fat can help your health. According to Dr Mark Hyman: “The right fats can improve your mood, skin, hair and nails, while protecting you against Type 2 diabetes, dementia, cancer and much more.”
- Fat is a source of essential fatty acids – something the body can’t make itself, and which, according to Dr Axe, help promote heart health, protect your brain, fight depression, relieve inflammation and reduce joint pain.
- Fat is fuel – fat is a source of energy that we can get better at utilising with a little practice. It’s not just there to make us look unsightly! Heck, I frequently run over 2 hours at a time on nothing more than a cup of black coffee and some water depending on the weather. According to the NHS each gram of fat contains 9kcal (37kJ) of energy compared with 4kcal (17kJ) for carbohydrate and protein. (Tell that to your carb-loading friends!)
- Without fat your body can’t absorb essential vitamins A, D and E – these are fat soluble vitamins and NEED fat to be absorbed.
- Nutrient fat helps healthy hormone function – those who eat more fat have higher free testosterone levels – and this helps with all sorts ranging from sexual function to immune system repair. A low-fat diet, on the other hand can be detrimental to hormone health.
- It can help you live LONGER – by replacing the carbs you eat with saturated fat you can improve your cholesterol and live longer. Take a look here for the science behind this.
- It tastes GOOD. Remember the old saying, Fat is flavour. Well it’s true. Just taste our avocado oil mayonnaise or extra virgin avocado oil for proof!
So that’s it – ten reasons why nutrient fat is GOOD for you. Now go, on share it with your low-fat loving friends and see what they think, or leave us a comment below.