REFINED SUGAR FREE
GLUTEN & GRAIN FREE
SEED & VEG OIL FREE
The most asked questions!
Answers to some of the most asked questions that we think you will find useful 🙌🏼I've got more questions!
Without sounding silly, what is mayonnaise?
It is a delicious condiment with a creamy, tangy taste that is super popular (more so than ketchup here in the UK) and often overlooked by those seeking real food options for their Keto, Paleo or optimal health-oriented lifestyle!
Mayonnaise is a beautiful emulsion (the combination of) two liquids - in this case oil and vinegar with the natural emulsifying properties of egg yolks keeping the two liquids in a creamy, delicious partnership.
A legend goes that mayonnaise was an 18th-century creation by a French Chef who realising he was out of cream when trying to make a sauce substituting the cream for olive oil stumbled upon ‘Mahonnaise’...
Your mayonnaise seems a lot more expensive than supermarket mayonnaise - why is this?
Firstly, our real food ingredients are the very best available and are unrivalled in the UK and Europe.
We like to ask the question, not why is Hunter & Gather mayonnaise expensive but why is conventional mayonnaise so cheap?
If you were to make mayonnaise at home using the high-quality ingredients we use, it would cost you around £3.15 just for the ingredients. We encourage you to do so, however, we’re here if you do not want to!
Of course, the above cost does not factor in your time, risk of splitting/wastage, ensuring your mayo is safe to eat and last at least 30 days in your fridge.
Here are some more reasons why Hunter & Gather Olive Oil Mayonnaise is more expensive than industrially produced mayonnaise found on the supermarket shelves:
- Hunter & Gather Olive Oil Mayonnaise use exclusively 100% Olive Oil. Olive oil is pressed from the flesh of nutrient-dense fruit rather than from ultra-processed, cheap monocrop seed oil such as sunflower or rapeseed oil. What’s more, we use the oil from over 250 olives per 240g of mayonnaise.
- We exclusively use only British free-range egg yolks from St Ewe in Cornwall. These are very high welfare eggs in their liquid state (as nature intended). Not cheap spray-dried eggs without any provenance as most commercial mayonnaise uses.
- Our mayonnaise is produced in far smaller batches than factory-produced industrial mayonnaise.
- Hunter & Gather Mayonnaise are very high-quality recipes using 70%+ oil as opposed to the often <70% sunflower/rapeseed oil (many times a lot less!) along with water, thickeners and preservatives.
- We do not use any artificial preservatives such as EDTA or Potassium sorbate to synthetically influence the shelf life of our products.
Why did you choose Olive Oil?
We chose Olive Oil as an additional range to our Avocado Oil. Olive oil like Avocado oil has a superior fatty acid profile over high PUFA industrial seed and vegetable oils and is one of our favourite healthy fats.
The oil in our mayonnaise is cold-pressed from Spanish Olives. High in monounsaturated fatty acids, it is non-inflammatory and has a subtle flavour.
- Monounsaturated Fats – We all need fat in our diets (primarily saturated and monounsaturated) and the fats present in olives and avocados are some of the healthiest around.
- Oleic Acid – A type of monounsaturated fatty acid that has been shown to lower blood pressure, protect cells from free radical damage and increase fat oxidation.
What is your mayonnaise recipe?
We use a base of four real food ingredients including Olive Oil, British Free Range Egg yolk (from St Ewe Farms), Apple Cider Vinegar and Pink Himalayan salt.
With our delicious flavoured mayos, we use the same base ingredients with added natural ingredients such as horseradish, lemon and back pepper.
Why is Hunter & Gather avocado or olive oil mayonnaise good for you?
Hunter & Gather 100% Avocado Oil or Olive oil Mayonnaise ranges are a little more evolved than the average industrial mayonnaise.
Made with only real food ingredients, Hunter & Gather Mayonnaise are all:
- High in nutrient-dense Oil (choice of either 100% Avocado or 100% Olive Oil)
- Low in PUFA
- Refined Sugar-Free & Sweetener free
- Free from industrially and chemically processed seed oils such as rapeseed (canola oil), sunflower and soybean
- Artificial Preservatives Free, Emulsifier Free and Thickener Free
Why should I avoid mayonnaise made with ultra-processed seed oils such as rapeseed (canola) or sunflower oils?
There is a growing body of evidence that supports the avoidance of industrially produced seed oils in our modern diets, such as rapeseed oil (also known as canola), sunflower oil and soybean oil.
Many believe that these oils are contributing to increasing levels of chronic modern diseases such as metabolic syndrome and obesity (through systemic inflammation).
There are several reasons why we believe rapeseed, sunflower and vegetable oils should be avoided completely (not just in mayonnaise!):
- Industrially produces seed oils have only been present in our diets for a few hundred years, comparing this to the years of human evolution - this is a very short amount of time indeed. Rapeseed oil was originally used as engine lubricant and was toxic for human consumption.
- These highly processed seed and vegetable oils are often extracted using strong chemical solvents such as hexane, to produce a higher yield of oil. Some oils are also treated with harsh deodorising chemicals or colourants too - with potential residual levels of chemicals present in the ‘human grade’ oil.
- Industrial seed and vegetable oils, disrupt our omega 3 to 6 ratio. These vegetable and seed oils are high in Omega 6 which in term creates chronic inflammation in our bodies (thought to contribute to chronic disease) - especially as these oils are present in a number of foods due to their very low cost for ‘big food’.
- Industrial seed and vegetable oils oxidise rapidly and create free radicals which in turn are thought to disrupt our mitochondria.
Mayonnaise, in particular, is made up of over 50% oil.
In some mayonnaise brands the oil can be over 80% - therefore the quality of oil, is of the utmost importance when selecting your mayonnaise of choice.
Due to mayonnaise having such a high level of oil, in most cases when industrial oils are used, you will also find chemical preservatives (to help stop it oxidising) as well as sugars to mask the taste of the rancid oil.
Be sure to choose a mayonnaise that is 100% avocado oil or olive oil instead of those ‘made with’ avocado or olive oil - they usually have a small amount of healthy oil when you look at the ingredients, not like us!
There are some very cheeky marketers out there that are stating "Avocado Oil Mayonnaise" or "Olive oil mayonnaise" when in fact it only contains a small amount of these oils (sometimes as low as 4%!) and is mostly made up with seed or vegetable oils like rapeseed (canola oil) or sunflower oils.
100% OLIVE-OIL MAYONNAISE
Made with over 250+ Olives per Jar our 100% Olive Oil Mayonnaise Range is made without blends of oils.
They are Refined Sugar, Gluten, Grain, Chemical, Filler & Bulker Free plus we only use glass jars & paper labels.