Classic creamy beef stroganoff, only with a Keto makeover and a fiery horseradish kick! Served up on a bed of fresh, Low Carb courgette fettuccine for the ultimate comfort food and midweek dinner.
What is Beef Stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is a Russian dish which is traditionally made with sautéed beef and mushrooms in a tangy sour cream sauce. Other common additions include beef stock and mustard, which loosen up the sauce and bring their own amazing flavours to the table.
Since its origins in 19th century Russia there have been many variations of stroganoff and it has became popular around the world. It is traditionally served with pasta but has been known to be served with mashed potatoes or rice too.
Low Carb Alternatives to Rice & Pasta
Grass fed beef in a creamy sauce is ideal for a Low Carb, High Fat diet such as Keto - but serving up with pasta puts a spanner in the works by hiking up the carb content!
Instead, we have a really simple recipe for courgette 'fettuccine', a sort of pseudo pasta which will be the perfect accompaniment for your beef stroganoff. It's super easy to make, nutritious, tasty and ideal for soaking up your creamy stroganoff sauce.
Check out our article below for some more Keto friendly alternatives to rice and pasta.
Hunter & Gather Olive Oil Horseradish Mayo
Some stroganoff recipes add mustard for a fiery kick that cuts through the rich, creaminess of the sour cream. In this recipe we are adding a generous dollop of Olive Oil Horseradish Mayonnaise.
We all know that beef and horseradish are two peas in a pod, so adding our Horseradish Mayo to this recipe really scratches that mustard itch with the perfect pairing of flavours!
Our Mayo is made with 100% olive oil and all natural, real food ingredients. Adding olive oil to your Keto, Paleo or Low Carb lifestyle is a great way to boost your intake of health fats.
Oh, and it tastes AMAZING - so here is the recipe!
What you need (ingredients):
- 3 tablespoons Hunter & Gather Avocado Oil
- 450g Grass Fed Beef Mince
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled finely chopped
- 230g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 230g cheddar cheese, crumbled
- 350ml sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Hunter & Gather Horseradish Mayo
For the Courgette Fettuccine:
- 400g courgette
- 2 tbsp Hunter & Gather Avocado Oil
- Himalayan rock salt & cracked black pepper
What you do (method):
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the onions are tender and translucent
- Add the beef mince and fry for about 5 minutes, or until browned throughout
- Stir in the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are softened and their liquid has evaporated
- Add the crumbled cheese, sour cream and Horseradish Mayo, stirring together until combined
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a slow boil - before reducing the to low, covering and allowing to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Whilst it cooks, prepare the courgette fettuccine
- Cut the ends off each courgette and then slice in half lengthways, before removing the seeds in the centre with a spoon
- Use a vegetable peeler or spiralizer to create thin, fettuccine-like noodles
- In a large pan bring salted water to a boil before adding the courgette noodles and boiling for just 1 minute
- Drain in a colander and then move to a bowl, add the avocado oil, salt and pepper and then toss to combine
- To serve, plate the courgette noodles and top with the beef stroganoff - enjoy!